Main Article Content
The study was conducted in order to assess and evaluate the influence of social networking on the writing skills of learners in Tshwane North District public schools from the point of view of educators actively working in Tshwane North District public schools. The study was conducted by drawing a stratified random sample of size 147 from educators working in Tshwane North District public schools. Data was collected by using a structured, pretested and validated questionnaire of study. Data analyses were conducted by using methods such as frequency tables, cross-tab analyses and binary logistic regression analysis. Based on the criteria set out by Huhta, Alanen, Tarnanen, Martin and Hirvela (2014) for the assessment of writing skills in English with proper grammar and syllables, 85.71% of educators working in Tshwane North District public schools indicated that the use of social networking had a negative effect on the writing skills of their learners. The remaining 14.29% of educators indicated that the use of social networking did not have a negative effect on the writing skills of their learners. Multivariate analysis was performed by estimating odds ratios from logit analysis. The results showed that the writing skills of leaners were significantly undermined by the length of time spent by learners on social networking, inability to read books in the library, and lack of commitment to reach out to poorly resourced learners, in a decreasing order of strength.