The Determinants Of Poverity Under Multidimensional Approach In Urban Areas Of Western Ethiopia

Main Article Content

Kidane Alemu Ago , Shemshedin Mohamed , Eshetu Beyene , Wakjira Kitesa


Human beings need to not to deprive socially, politically and economically. Thus, a minimum of living standard, wealth, empowerment, health and education are important means. The study tried to determine the multidimensional poverty index (MPI) and its determinants. The analysis was based the cross-sectional data obtained from 394 randomly sampled  household living in the town in  2020.The result on the depth of multidimensional poverty index  at k=5 report that 53% households in town are poor whereas  the remaining 47 % of  were found non-poor. The Logistic regression results  show that the  households are more likely to be multidimensional poor for lack of job opportunities, poor skill on self- employment, household size, dependency ratio, rural urban migration, poor self-employment skills, dependent attitude, poor family planning, lack of family solidarity, sustained illness, political instability, cost of living and drug addiction. On the other hand; household age, education, annual income, saving, rich family back ground, homeownership and household labour are the indicators found determining the chance of being multidimensional non-poor. Consequently, promoting education, hardworking, proper family planning, family solidarity, entrepreneurship, health insurance and saving to the households, and enhancing peace and stability in the region to promote investment and to reduce rural urban migration are important policy suggestions drawn.

Article Details